Your NSW competency card expires after five years. Your expiry date is displayed on your card.

If your contact details are up-to-date, you’ll start receiving reminders by email and SMS to renew your competencies, like RSA and RCG, 90 days before your card is due to expire. If you hold more than one competency, all expire on the same date.

You can renew your card in a few easy steps:

  1. Receive the renewal reminder, link, and instructions on completing the online refresher course. Ensure your details are kept up-to-date to receive the renewal reminders
  2. Complete the Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&GNSW) online refresher training on any device
  3. Pay the renewal fee and receive a renewal interim certificate by email.

Once you complete the refresher training, a new NSW competency card will be posted to you. You don't need to visit Service NSW to have your proof of identity check or photo taken.

If you hold a digital NSW competency card, it will automatically display the new expiry date.

Refresher Training

  • L&GNSW is the only provider of the online refresher training course.
  • The online refresher training is fast-paced and takes up to 45 minutes to complete for each competency.
  • You cannot renew your card by doing a course with a registered training provider of RSA/RCG courses. It will not extend the validity of your competency card. This could affect your ability to work in a licensed premises.

Update your contact details

Keeping your contact details up-to-date ensures that you’ll receive the renewal reminders by email and SMS.

There are three ways to update your contact details:

  1. Use the Service NSW online form
  2. Use the CC0400 Change details for NSW competency card holder form (PDF 656.6 KB)
  3. Use the app to update your digital NSW competency card

Renew before expiry

We strongly recommend that you complete the online refresher course and renew your competencies before they expire so you can continue working.You cannot work in the industry once your card expires.

Once your card expires the online renewal has a grace period of 28 days. You can complete your online refresher training during this grace period. Once your refresher training has been completed you can work again.

If you don't renew your competencies in this time you will need to do the full course through an approved training provider of RSA/RCG courses to continue working in the industry.